An image from the film this blog is named after.

An image from the film this blog is named after.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

BFI Top 50: City Lights, Released in 1931, Directed by Charlie Chaplin


What I know going in
The film is Charlie Chaplin’s last silent movie and was made during a time when sound film had essentially taken over. It is considered by many to be the last, great silent movie.

Immediate reaction
I think I watched this movie in the wrong setting (alone, around midnight, by myself) to truly appreciate it. While I did find the movie amusing, I never found it uproariously funny, which is odd because it is considered one of the greatest comedies of all time. I watched Buster Keaton’s Steamboat Bill Jr. in a theater, with a decent amount of people, and with live piano accompaniment. I highly enjoyed that movie and laughed out loud numerous times along with the audience. It is somewhat difficult for me to put myself in that kind of mood to appreciate silent film. If I had seen City Lights in a setting similar to the one I saw Steamboat Bill Jr. in, I may have found the film more enjoyable.

City Lights is the first Charlie Chaplin film I have seen and I kind of can’t believe that someone who looks like Chaplin even exists, let alone was allowed to become one the of biggest stars in the history of film. He is an incredibly tiny person, not only height, but also in overall mass (a fact which is used to great effect during the boxing scenes). Of course, he also flits about the city in his famous tramp outfit, which includes a bowler hat, a bamboo cane, tattered pants, and a suit coat. This bizarre combination of clothing gives Chaplin the appearance of a sophisticated hobo. His infamous mustache and painted-on eyebrows further contribute to Chaplin’s utterly bizarre appearance. 

The boxing scene is where the movie really picked up for me. Chaplin enters a boxing match to make money for his blind sweetheart. He has arranged the match beforehand with his opponent to where they will both go easy on each other and split the winnings 50/50. Unfortunately, his opponent is wanted by the police and has to bolt before the match. Chaplin is then matched up with a more imposing opponent. Chaplin attempts to flirt/seduce/charm in his opponent in one of the funnier scenes. I haven’t watched a whole lot of movies from this time period, but I did find it interesting that the film was essentially making gay jokes. I don’t know if other films from this period used similar humor. If not, I do have to give the film points for willing to go there. This of course leads, to the funniest scene in the movie, Chaplin’s boxing match. The match becomes some type of weird, comic ballet. The ref stands between the two boxers as they circle around each other, Chaplin flails about grabbing onto anything he can, and the two boxers get up and then fall back down several times.

I also found the ending to be very movie, and I was even a bit surprised that ended on a somewhat ambiguous note. Chaplin, completely dejected at this point, bumps into the blind woman whose eye surgery he paid for. Initially, she makes fun of him, but soon realizes that he was her past suitor. She then states “Yes, I can see know.” The film ends with Chaplin smiling down at her. It has been called one of the greatest and most moving ending in movie history, and I completely agree.

Further thoughts
The film also works perfectly as a social satire. It was released in 1931, during the great depression. It was probably very reassuring to audiences that the millionaire character was depressed, suicidal, and alcoholic. The millionaire only enjoys being around The Tramp when he is drunk. He is able to see past the exterior of The Tramp’s situation and actually enjoys spending time with him. When he is sober, he looks down on the Tramp just like everyone else. The Tramp and the blind girl, while both struggling to get by, are spiritually fulfilled. The girl’s blindness allows her to judge people on their actions, not on their appearance. This leads to her reacceptance of the Tramp when they meet outside her flower shop.

The film also portrays city life as manic and chaotic. This can be seen in Chaplin’s performance as he flails wildly about trying to come up with money for the girl. He rushes from being a street cleaner during a parade of horses and elephants to participating in an underground boxing match. Each character in the boxing scene probably has their own sad story for how they ended up there. Chaplin is able to engage with the crushing reality of the time and keep the film comic and sweet.

Why is it on the list?
Like I mentioned earlier, the films works as a social satire. I also can’t think of many other films, outside of Chaplin’s, that not only positively portray the homeless, but have one as their central character. As the last great silent film, it also signaled the end of era. Since I have not seen any of Chaplin’s other films, I can’t comment on how this one holds in comparison to the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment