An image from the film this blog is named after.

An image from the film this blog is named after.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

BFI Top 50: La Dolce Vita, Released in 1961 and directed by Federico Fellini


What I know going in
A gossip journalist sort of descent into madness. Not really sure where this one is gonna take me.

Immediate Reaction
Any time I don’t have some type of immediate, visceral reaction to one of these films, it becomes really hard for me to start writing about it. I found La Dolce Vita really difficult to engage with. I encountered a similar problem with Gertrud. One similarity between the two films is that they feature very dense dialogue that is often about very heady topics such as love, the purpose of life, truth, and artistic merit. My two favorite films of all time, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, also cover similar topics and the dialogue in those movies is one of my favorite aspects about them. Of course, those two movies are in English and it’s easy for me to follow what the characters are saying, and it seems that when the same topics are covered in a different language and I have to read subtitles it is harder for me to follow along. It also creates a barrier between me and the characters and prevents me from getting completely emotionally invested in what is happening.

So that’s one caveat regarding my opinion of the film. I found it very hard to engage with the film. Everything just kind of happened and didn’t seem to have any dramatic stakes. I personally wasn’t able to sympathize with any of the characters, even Marcello, because I never felt that I learned enough about them to really care. The film is structured as seven episodes, which takes place over the course of seven days, which may or may not take place in a completely linear manner. While this is an interesting structure, it would have been cool seeing how these random events affect Marcello over a week, the events were just too random for me to really build to anything. I guess Marcello gradually unravels near the end, he tries to incite an orgy for instance, but it was hard for me to understand where that anger came from as he is such a passive character. Even the advertising of the film confused. Anita Ekberg is prominently displayed on the poster. In fact, when she showed up, I thought the rest of the film would focus on Marcello trying to woo her. However, her character just kind of disappears after being onscreen for like 20ish minutes. Again, I found this very loose structure hard to deal with.

The only theme I was really able to decipher is the film’s indictment of the paparazzo culture. It shows these photographers and journalists as just complete amoral animals. They view the arrival of an American actress, a phony sighting of the Madonna, and double murder suicide as only a chance to get some juicy pictures. I found all of the paparazzo really annoying and would have loved to see them get some weird karmic backlash at the end of the film. In that regard, I empathize with Marcello’s desire to move out of the paparazzo business and create some type of lasting impact through literature. The film also has a very heavy focus on actresses, actors, models, aristocrats, and artists. A lot of these people are not portrayed in a sympathetic light. For example, on the last day, Marcello walks around a castle with a random posse he has come across. All of them act just completely silly, stupid, seem really empty and disengaged with life. In that sense, the film may also be a general critique of modern Italian society at the time. Hopefully I will uncover more of that thread when I work though some of the supplemental materials on the disc.

Further thoughts
Richard Shickel’s commentary was useful in helping me get a better grasp on what exactly the film was going for. As Americans, I think we have a tendency to view Europe in a simplified manner. Most Americans when they think of Europe, see it as a place to escape the drudgery and blandness of life in the USA. We imagine going to Europe will allow us to have fun, sexy adventures in beautiful locales. France and Italy probably suffer the most in our imagination and they are seen as a place of romance and passion. I believe that La Dolce Vita is a critique to that American viewpoint. On the surface, Marcello’s life would seem exciting. He lives in Rome, has sexy sports car, works for an entertainment newspapers, sleeps around, and gets to hang out with celebrities. However, as the film progresses, it is revealed that Marcello feels very empty and is unable to go beyond his surface desires. He can’t commit to the various women he chases after and is unable to remove himself from his paparazzi gig, despite expressing a desire to do so. The end of the movie makes it clear that he will be forever lost in a sea of pettiness and constant yearning. This is demonstrated by his inability to hear the teenage waitress near the end of movie. Earlier in the movie Marcello had met this girl in a restaurant and described her as angelic. She clearly represents a more thoughtful way of living, one that Marcello is now unable to attain. Instead, he walks away with a group of flighty individuals and the ending credits sarcastically flash: “La Dolce Vita,” the sweet life.

There are also two key symbols that are helpful in understanding the movie. One at the beginning and one at the end. The beginning symbol is more overt. A plastic statue of Jesus is flown past the ancient ruins of Rome. This is clearly a mockery of Roman Catholic traditions and affront to the rich history of Rome. Fellini is clearly stating that the new modern Rome may look appealing, but dig a little deeper and there’s not a whole lot there. A similar symbol occurs at the end of the movie. A leviathan-esque creature is drudged up from the sea. This ancient creature is poked at and made fun of by Marcello and his gaggle of friends. Something old and deserving of respect is mocked. Hint: substitute Rome for the creature!

Why is it on the list?
The film is a brutal, effective takedown of the supposed modernity of then-current Italian society.


No comments:

Post a Comment